I should probably first explain what I mean by the word ‘fluff’ when it comes to branding.’
It’s pretty much all the superficial stuff that’s going on in regard to what firms are saying about themselves.
Here are a few examples to give you a good idea and I’m sure they sound familiar;
- We exceed expectations
- We have more experience
- We listen and are more understanding
- Our customer service is superior
- We are friendly and more accessible
- Our price structure is more competitive
- We have better people
- We have a greater range of services
- We focus more on results & growth
- We really do care more than others
- We provide better outcomes
- We create a better client experience
These are all fluff, they have no cut through and they have no way differentiate.
They are all givens that are expected from any legal firm, so why hang your hat on such statements?
Why is this happening?
These are the only two reasons I can think of.
Firstly, you may have been told by a branding agency that they work, which is just old school. Sure they may have worked years ago when the world wasn’t digital but in today’s day and age they mean nothing. A lot of agencies are still living in that world and have refused to undertake the processes required for brands to truly work, particularly for legal services.
Otherwise these statements have been made internally, from partners that believe that these statements set them apart or couldn’t think of anything else. All you have to do is look at most of your opposition to see that they are all saying the same thing.